I don’t know about you but I can’t do plain yoghurt.. it’s too.. plain. I’ve always got to add something to it.. fresh fruit, preserves, nuts, flaxseed, oats, granola and very recently these yoghurt dippers. If you enjoy dipping biscuits or biscotti in your coffee then you are going to love these. It’s the same concept but with yoghurt and it works so well.
The dippers on their own taste like soft oaty cake-cookies which are sweet and flavourful enough to eat on their own as well. It’s up to you to bake them in a cookie shape or long bars. The cookie shape works better for me personally because they are easier to hold and don’t break apart while handling.
I’ve used oats, wholegrain flour and all purpose flour in this recipe. It’s high carb and high fibre which makes it perfect for a wholesome breakfast or a healthy pre-workout snack. The banana adds sweetness and moisture, while the coconut oil and almonds add good fats. If you want to keep this a low fat recipe leave out the almonds. Most people handle xylitol well but if you find that you have digestive problems after consuming xylitol make sure you are eating less than around 50g a day, decrease your daily intake until you find an amount that suits your body (ideally 1-2 tablespoons/day). If you still cannot tolerate it, replace the xylitol with stevia extract or coconut sugar.
- ¼ cup mashed banana (1 medium banana)
- 2 Tbs virgin coconut oil
- 1 egg
- ⅓-1/2 cup xylitol
- 1 tsp molasses
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- pinch salt
- ½ cup chopped almonds (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Line a tray with baking parchment.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana and add the egg, oil, sugar and molasses and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, oats, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add the wet banana mixture to the flour and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the almonds last if using.
- Place heaping tablespoonfuls of batter on to the tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely on the baking tray.
- Serve with your favourite yoghurt, slivered almonds and fresh fruit.
All nutritional values are calculated on the myfitnesspal app.