Summer is here .. time for smoothies, salads and overnight oats <3 I love cold cereal! But I’ll be honest, if I’m having boxed cereal for breakfast (even if it’s wholegrain) I’ll be eating at least two large bowls of it to keep me full until my next meal. That’s why overnight oats are the perfect summer breakfast for me, they are nice and chilled because I leave them in the fridge but still wholesome and filling, because – oats. One serving will keep me satisfied right until lunch!
You don’t have to make this exactly like mine. I like to layer the fruits because it’s prettier to look at. I love digging in to the bottom to pick the berries. Use whichever berries and yoghurt you prefer, I used strawberries and mulberries with regular strawberry yoghurt. If you want a sugar free breakfast, use sugar free yoghurt and sweeten with your favourite sweetener.
If you don’t have a mason jar make it in your favourite bowl or container, just be sure to cover it with a lid or clingfilm. This breakfast is also perfect to have on-the-go. Wake up, get ready and take your container/jar of oats in the car with you to have at work/school etc. Keep in mind that the recipe contains milk so make sure your container stays out of the sun to avoid spoiling. Also, they taste best chilled so eat them as soon as you get to your destination, or, just refrigerate them again in your office fridge until you are ready to devour all this deliciousness.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbs chia seeds
- 1 Tbs vanilla whey protein powder (optional)
- ½ cup milk
- 150ml strawberry yoghurt
- ¼ cup chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup mulberries
- sweetener to taste
- Lightly mash the strawberries to release some of their juices and place them into the bottom of a 400ml mason jar.
- In a bowl, add the oats, chia seeds, protein powder, milk, yoghurt and sweetener if using. Mix these ingredients together and pour them gently on top of the strawberries. You can leave about 3Tbs of this mixture to put on top of the mulberries if you want your oats to look like mine.
- Mighty the mash the mulberries to release the juices and pour on top of the oats. If you have leftover oat mixture, spoon it on to the berries.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight.
- Best when chilled, straight out of the fridge on a warm summer morning.