Aand I am back! I’ve been back home in Zimbabwe for a few weeks now but I’ve been super busy getting registered and sorting out my house job. No one told me how tedious all this was going to be, adulting is hard :/ Graduation, however, was great. I had a really good time. I can’t believe that after 6 years my journey in China is over! 6 years! That is long! I’m really going to miss it!
On a lighter note (pun intended), I baked sugar-free meringues recently and I am SO excited about it because this must be the most macro friendly recipe on my entire blog. Which obviously means I’ve been eating them every chance I get! The reason they are so macro friendly is that I’ve used erythriyol which is a zero calorie sweetener. The meringues got slighty browned on top, which I personally don’t mind but if don’t want that try baking them for longer at a lower temperature. But DO try them!
- 2 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1-1½ Tbs powdered erythritol (make sure you use powdered or you will find granules in the meringues)
- pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- ⅛ tsp vanilla powder (or liquid extract)
- Heat the oven to 120 degrees Celcius.
- Line a tray with foil or baking paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a metal bowl, mix all the ingredients together with an electric beater until the mixture is white and shiny and can hold it's shape.
- Pour it into a piping bag and pipe 8 rounds onto the baking sheet. Alternatively, you couls just spoon out 8 spoonfuls of the mixture onto the tray.
- Bake for 20 mins at 120 degrees, then turn the oven temperature down to 90 degrees and bake for another 40 minutes.
- When done, leave the meringues in the warm oven to cool down before eating. This helps them dry out even more.